[Spit] Transmission Trouble Update

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spit] Transmission Trouble Update
From: Chad Edwards <c_g_edwards@yahoo.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 12:37:02 -0400 (EDT)
I posted last week about some troubles I was
experiencing with the transmission in my 1980 Spitfire
(weird things happening in 3rd gear). Over the weekend
I was able to pull the transmission out and pop the
top cover off.

What I found was that when in 3rd gear, the syncro hub
was able to move back and forth along the main shaft
by over a 1/8". While I don't really have any
experience diagnosing transmission problems, I am
suspecting that it shouldn't have that much play. The
1st/2nd syncro hub has next to no play at all.

I think that either a clip or spacer was missed during
the rebuild last year or has somehow fallen out since.

As usual, any thoughts or comments are more than
welcome.

Chad Edwards
1980 Spitfire

      Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to
Yahoo! Answers and share what you know at http://ca.answers.yahoo.com

===     http://www.vtr.org