RE: Replacing rockers

To: "'Mike Welch'" <spitfire@freebacon.net>,
Subject: RE: Replacing rockers
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@dccnet.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:42:44 -0700
Mike, I had a similar adventure a couple of years or so ago.
One thing to bear in mind is that the quality of the replacement parts
varies wildly.
Before you start cutting, carefully compare the old panel to the new. In my
case, the first new panel was dramatically different from the old, in the
folds of flat metal at the base of the door aperture.
In my innocence, when I took it back (having already cut the whole rocker
off), I was told that the pro's often leave the existing aperture bottom
intact, cut 1/4 inch inside, cut the new panel to match, and butt weld the
old to the new.
I ended up buying a Steelcraft panel, supposedly the best, and it fit fine,
after some "fettling". Much more expensive though, but IMHO well worth it.
Paul Tegler has a page on making one of the non-Steelcraft panels fit,
somewhere on his site, teglerizer.com
Good luck, and enjoy.
Nick Moseley

Snip"
I'm about to embark upon a new adventure...replacing the rockers on my '69
Spit.  A welder friend is going to come over and help since I've never
welded
or replaced body panels. Before I start cutting out the old ones, does
anyone
have a guide for this procedure or helpful advice?

Mike Welch"
unsnip

===     http://www.vtr.org