Re: Spitfire engine

To: JHMDDS@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire engine
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 12:33:57 EDT
In a message dated 9/2/2006 10:03:45 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
JHMDDS@aol.com writes:

I bought  an engine from of a Ebay.  Is there and easy way to tell if it is
an
1296 as claimed or an 1147?  The number stamped on the block is  FK3214HE.
Also what should I look for to decide whether a full tear  down and rebuild
is
necessary?  What other mods can be done at this  stage to increase
performance.

==AM==
FK3214HE would be an early MkIV high-compression, large-bearing 1296.

I'd certainly want to pull the pan and at least quickly check rod and main
bearings and thrust washers. Of course, if one were able to somehow set it up
and get it running, you could also do a compression check as well as simply
listen and watch. But it probably makes more sense to simply tear it down,
check  everything and do whatever is needed...after which you could consider
camshafts,  head work, etc., etc.!

--Andy   Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not  so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with   wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and
Triumph Herald Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)

===     http://www.vtr.org