Electric fan Cont'd: Wasn't - Now is

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Electric fan Cont'd: Wasn't - Now is
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@dccnet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 15:14:31 -0700
For posterity, here is a wee bit of advice for any whose stock electric
cooling fan for the radiator quits.

Check the contacts in the wiring first, then take it off, remove the fan and
the front plate of the motor housing, and give it a shake and a gust of air! I
must have got what seemed like a couple of ounces (OK, less, but a lot) of
black dust out of the fan motor housing.  I suspect if was dust from the
carbon brushes, as the design leaves it no avenue through which to escape.

I'm now in the happy position of having a new one on the car, an original
stock one coming from a kind lister (thanks Robert!), and now the original is
back in operating condition.

For those following along, if I'd held off until there was time to pull the
motor apart and inspect, we would probably not have made it to the show. In
case you're wondering, no regrets. We made it to the ABFM in Vancouver and had
a fantastic time. Thought I'd be bored so took a book to read during the slow
times. Never had a slow time. All kinds of nice folks chatting, other
participants and visitors alike.  One guy all the way from Alabama (in town
for business) !

Nick Moseley

===     http://www.vtr.org