RE: Drive It Day - this Sunday

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Drive It Day - this Sunday
From: "Joe & Lowetta" <joe@ados.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:40:21 -0700
Well, I did my part by driving Peanut to work this Sunday.  Unfortunately,
for the second time in a row, it didn't quite get me back home.  Too much
neglect last year while we were settling into the new house, I guess.

First time the car stalled at a stop light and then wouldn't turn over.
It's had a less than great battery for sometime, but charges well thanks to
the Delco alternator I put on a few years back.  I tore into last week, put
in a new battery and all new battery cables.  Starts better than ever and
will crank almost indefinitely.  Big improvement!

This time, the fuel pump died on me.... Again.  I was able to pull it off
and manually pump enough fuel up into the carbs to make it the last mile
home.  Now I'm trying to decide how I want to fix this one.  The pump is
less than 5 years old and it only made maybe 10,000 miles before giving up.
I've seen several listings for the later long arm pump that uses a spacer
behind it.  Anyone know if these are better than the original type for my
'73 1500?  I have been leaning towards putting in an electric to simply pump
through the stock pump or bypassing the original all together.  I know the
fuel pressure is pretty low on these systems, anyone know the max you can
run on a set of SUs with no modifications?

At least the weather was great Sunday!  Warmest day we've had all year here
in Oregon.

Thanks for any advice.  Hope everyone else faired better with their outings.

Joe Frakes
'73 Spit 1500 (Peanut)
'68 VW Westy (Pumpkin)

Where Speed & Service Have Always Mattered @ http://www.ados.net