Re: Weber carb question.

To: "David Mayer" <celiracer81@hotmail.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weber carb question.
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:28:02 -0700
I can't say that there is a "controversy".  But I have some emotions about
the DCOE's (side draft).

If you are putting them on any 8 port Spitfire head, you should use two of
them.  If you examine the runner lengths on a single DCOE application, you
will find a great difference in the length of the outside two runners versus
the inside two.  That equates to unequal fuel flow between the outside and
inside cylinders.  You could have one of two possible problems with that
scenario.  Either the two inside ones will be rich or the outsides will be
lean.  What do you prefer to do, wash down the inside cylinders or burn the
valves on the outside two.  That seems to be your two choices with that
configuration.  Twin DCOES do not have that problem because you end up with
one carb barrel for each cylinder and almost identical runner lengths.

I can't say about the DGV (Downdraft) becasus I have never used one.  People
say they perform well but I have also seen some of those manifolds and there
seems to be a similar issue with them.  Since all the runners emanate from a
central point they are of increasing length from the center.  Whether or not
it is problematic, I can't say.

Joe