About to pick up a GT6 MKI

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: About to pick up a GT6 MKI
From: Todd Bermudez <red_tr250@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:21:26 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

I'm brand new to this list.  In fact, I don't know if
it's the right list?  If not, please point me in the
right direction.

I'm about to pick up a '67 GT6 MKI.  It's been set up
for speed or track days.  The doors have been
completely gutted.  No windows/regulators or inner
sheet metal.  The wife is gonna be the main driver.
That means we have to put some things back to original
like the doors.  I understand that the Spitfire doors
are the same except for the little side vent windows.
Correct?

On my test drive I noticed that you had to be careful
shifting into 2nd.  Grinding.  I've read that the GT6
gearbox is a major weak link of the car.  This one
happens to have overdrive and it works.  How hard is
it to rebuild the gearbox?  Are there any sites out
there that describe the rebuild?  Is it mostly
synchros that go bad?  Will the TR6 gearbox fit?

So many questions at once.  I'm just getting started
though.  There are many missing bits, but this baby
really flies & sticks to the road so It was a no
brainer decision to buy.

TIA,

Todd Bermudez

===     http://www.vtr.org