Re: Body work suggestions (1)

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Body work suggestions (1)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 20:18:52 -0500
At 10:36 PM 11/1/2005 +0000, David Mayer wrote:

>  Well, after searching around for a paint shop that will spray the Spit for
>the amount of money i want and being shot down time after time, I have
>decided to do more of the body prep work myself than i had originally wanted
>to do.

Dave,

For starters, body work is very labor intensive, that's why it costs sooo
much.

>  That being said, i was wondering if i could get some lister knowledge on
>different body prep techniques.
>- Body filler:  I only have a couple places that need bondo to smooth them
>out (rear end of the rocker panels where the guys welded them in).

There is nothing wrong with body filler!  It has to be used in many places.
That being said, you don't want to have it too deep, like 2" to 4" because
someone was too lazy to do some metal beating or cuting and welding.

That being said, I usually use dynaglass, a very short haired fiberglass
filler for strength, and shaping.  It sand very well.  Then once everything
is looking very good, I use any body filler - something like Ultralyte.
When it comes to finishing there is a product called "Icing" that you can
use.

Each product has it's place.  Again, dynaglass for rough work, or building
put an edge.  Then Bondo to smooth the entire area.  Finally Icing to give
you a nice top layer.  The cost on the various materials varies also.
The last quart of dynaglass I purchased cost about $10.  A gallon of bondo
was about $25 and a tube of Icing is about $25.

You might want to read some of the ariticles on my Morgan web page about
body work:

http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/

While some of this info is dated - it is still a good primer.

I'm switching the paint's I'm using.  I've been a very loyal DuPont person.
DuPont now has a product line called Nasson, which is fairly inexpensive
compared to the Centari and Chroma lines.  For example, I just purchased
a gal of Nasson polyeurathine color coat, a gal of reducer, and a quart
of hardner for $150 to paint my mini van, as compaired to the color coat for
my Bricklin in the Chroma at $250/gal for just the paint.
Primers are similarly priced - $100/gal for polyeurathine catalized (2K)
primer in the Nasson, vs $150 and up for it in any other line.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org