Powder Coating Parts

To: "'fred thomas'" <frede.thomas2@verizon.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Powder Coating Parts
From: "Daniel L Parrott" <parrotthead01@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 17:24:35 -0400
Seeing Fred's post reminded me to post a question regarding powdercoating
certain parts.

I purchased a spare set of brake calipers from eBay with the intention to
rebuild them and have them as spares, ready to install.

Since then, I purchased a Powder Coating setup from Harbor Freight and have
been mostly successful in Powder coating my front suspension parts,
including the vertical links, the upper and lower a-frames, and even the
upper ball joint.  (I purchased the ball joints from TRF with the grease
nipple).

Anyway, has anyone ever powder coated a set of brake calipers?  Will the
coating withstand the heat?  Of course, all mated surfaces and threads will
be protected.  I'm thinking of near chrome with a cherry red overlay to
brighten up the wheel areas.

Also, I purchased a spare water pump housing that I may have the same
treatment done.  Will this part get too hot?  Will I have to go to chrome or
ceramic coating?

Just ideas as we approach the hot summer months and the SE VTR at Jekyll
Island.

TIA

Dan Parrott
1980 Triumph Spitfire "PJ"