Re: It's alive...sort of

To: "David Mayer" <celiracer81@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: It's alive...sort of
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 21:48:39 -0400
At 01:07 AM 5/22/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>1.)  the timing was off, to i had to retard the timing a little bit.  Now it
>is running much better with out the sputtering and backfiring.  However...i
>noticed that when i lift the cylinder of each carb (dual su's), i get a very
>different response form the engine.  When i lift the cylinder in the front
>carb, nothing really happens.  It runs fine and there is no response to speak
>of.  However, when i lift the rear carb cylinder, the car basically stalls
>out.  I checked the carbs with my tuner thinggy dinggy (yes...that is a
>technical term), and they are pretty darn close to eachother.  So i played
>around with the jets and was able to get it to run a little better yet. But i
>still have that same problem where the rear carb causes some sputtering when
>operated alone.

It is normal for a SU or Stromberg carb to stop working when you lift the
cylinder.  Doing so makes
the mixture real lean.  The lack of response from the front carb suggests that
maybe it isn't working at all.

If your thingy dinggy is really an airflow meter and the airflow is balanced,
maybe the front carb is
not actually feeding any gas into the airstream, and you are trying to run the
car with one totally
lean carb and one extra-rich carb.

Here is a tip:  If you remove the piston, air chamber, and needle, you should
be able
to look straight down into the jet hole, and see the fuel level maybe a
centimeter or so
below the top of the jet.  If it looks dry, or gas is overflowing, obviously
something is wrong.

Make this check after cranking the engine a little to build up the fuel
pressure,
or right after shutting the engine off.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit