Running ethanol in a Spitfire

To: "NASS" <nass@yahoogroups.com>, "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Running ethanol in a Spitfire
From: "Bill Gingerich" <wrgingerich@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 09:12:01 -0500
I recently moved from an urban to a rural area.  One of the things I've
noticed is the relative abundance of gas stations selling E85 - 85% ethanol.
So the question is: what would have to be done to run an early '70's
Spitfire or GT6 on E85?  Assume the cars are stock US spec.

Out of curiosity, would changes from stock be needed if the ethanol content
of gas was raised from 10% to 20%?  There is a proposal in the MN
legislature for this right now, and it looks like it might just pass.

TIA, etc.

Bill G

Lake Crystal, MN

1974 Spitfire, etc.