Re: Headers and header wrap

To: Gary <garytash@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Headers and header wrap
From: Michael Porter <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:46:17 -0600
Gary wrote:

> Just about to reassemble with a Bell SS header.
> I think I want to wrap it, but do not know much about the wraps - except
> manufacturer hype.  Even ran into a site that said wraps destroy the header
> (they seemed to selling thermal coating).
> 1. To wrap or not to wrap?  Pros, cons, alternatives.
> 2. Is there one that's better than the other. I presently only know of two
> brands Thermo Tec and Mr. Gasket.

Most of the wrapped headers I've seen were pretty cruddy underneath, and
I suspect that the wrapping may trap moisture, which would accelerate
the decay of the header.

This may depend upon the grade of stainless being used by Bell. If they
are 409 stainless or the equivalent, they're going to build a rust
layer, and a wrap may encourage some flaking and more rusting. If they
are 304 stainless or equiv., they probably only need polishing to reduce
the amount of radiated heat.

Cheers.

--
Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance....