Re: Failing emissions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Failing emissions
From: Alan Lemen <ralemen@cableone.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:29:24 -0700
The electrics have been checked. Timing is correct, no misfires etc. new
plug, fresh engine oil. even changed twin SU back to single Stromberg
and it's slightly worse. Does not have catalytic converter and air pump
is working OK. No vacuum leaks - checked for that. carbon canister was
even rebuilt. input line from carbon canister is plugged anyways. CO is
not that low, so leaning out more will not help. It's not at the point
for the balancing act. HC at high speed are not as bad but still high. I
have had the car to THE expert in the area who could find nothing wrong
and is himself mystified. Normally I can do it all and diagnose the
problem. Folks come to me to help them tune their cars. Which is why I
suspect something mechanical. But she runs smooth which seems to
contradict the valves. But I never have had the head off the car. Or it
could be bad rings? Will check that valve clearances and compression are
OK tonight. Any other easy way to check the valves short of pulling the
head.

Alan