oil pressure - possible fix?

To: "CARS nass@yahoogroups." <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: oil pressure - possible fix?
From: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 01:30:56 -0400
OK... question here... and something for people to
contemplate....

People speak frequently of low pressure in Triumph
4 and 6 cyl engines. This too has been bugging me...
trying to understand why the pressure would drop so
much just from the engine warming up. Some people
say it's the oil and a zillion conversations have come
up concerning which oil to use.  BUT...if that were the
main reason it would hold true of other LBC's which
I've found not to be true. That is...at least from my own
personal observations.... the pressure doesn't drop
as much in any other LBC I've owned.

So....after MANY hours of thinking about possible
causes.... I pose this question/consideration.

Most (newer anyway?) oil pumps for these
engines use a steel center star wheel, but an aluminum
body for the oil pump. Considering the differences in
the expansion coefficients of these two metals....
doesn't it seem quite feasible that that the body to
star gear clearances are opening up thus reducing
the pressure the pump is capable of producing???

hhmmmm...... the more I think about it...the more
it makes sense!   Anyone know if anyone still
produces a steel bodied pump?!!!

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com