RE: Engine Running On

To: "'Martin Pearce'" <dungey@pearcem95.freeserve.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: Engine Running On
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 09:18:47 +0100
Martin asked: "...What would cause an engine to continue running for a few
seconds after the ignition has been turned off?..."

Engine running too hot (for a variety of reasons)

Build-up of soot particles on the cylinder head / top of piston (strip
engine and clean!!)

I have a vague feeling that running too rich, in conjuction with one of the
above problems, can make this worse, but is unlikely to be the sole cause
(and I could be wrong about that).

I hope some others come in with advice on this, 'cos it's not my greatest
area of expertise, since I never really suffered from it!

Some people have fitted a valve that lets more air into the manifold when
the ignition is switched off, to stop this over-run.  This, of course,
treats the symptoms, not the cause...

Richard Gosling

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected.
If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing
stated in this communication shall be legally binding.