Too Hot!!!!

To: "spitfires list" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Too Hot!!!!
From: "Martin Pearce" <dungey@pearcem95.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 11:42:25 +0100
Guys

Thanks to the list and the ongoing work on my car, I had one of the best
runs out ever.  It was a lovelly day here in the UK yesterday and I managed
to get in a 100 mile run.

Only a couple of minor issues, running on after stopping and a strange thing
about the temp guage.

Followers of my ongoing saga will have seen the problems I had with the fuel
guage.  This was fixed by a new fuel sender unit and a voltage stabilizer.
As some group members suggested, this would probably uncover an overheating
problem as the guages were now receiving the right voltage.

You guessed it, thats the case.  Temp guage over over the top of the Hot
mark.  I am somewhat suspicious though as the engine didnt seem to get that
hot.

Checked the Temp Guage sender unit and it reads the 1000ohm when cold, or
thereabouts.  Got her to warm and yes it drops.  Got to the hot but it
doesnt get as low as 50 ohm.  Whilst warming her up in the garage, I noticed
that when I increased the revs both the fuel and temp guage rise quite
rapidly, ease off and they drop back.

Am running still with the original dynamo but it sounds like too many volts
are coming through as the revs increase.  Did notice when I returned to town
yesterday that as I started driving down the back roads the temp guage
dropped.

I dont believe there are any issues with my cooling system but something
strange is occuring.  Any ideas?

Martin
'63 Spit4