Re: Starter doesn't always...

To: Tburke4@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter doesn't always...
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 13:02:07 -0400
In message <d4.15cd0fee.2e6b4380@aol.com>you write:

>I drove to store, parked, and when I came back out, all I got from the
>starter was a click. Connections were all tight. Replacing the battery with a
>new
>one made no difference. Finally, I got a couple of volunteers to push me for a
>
>jump start. Drove home, turned it off, turned it on, started just fine.
>Hmmm....??

I had a similar problem with mine a few years back.  The starter would
sometimes go click and not turn and sometime after tapping it with a
stick it would turn over till it finally wouldn't run at all.

I took the starter out, test it with a battery and it would turn but
when I put it back into the car it would not spin.  After taking the
starter off a couple of more times I decided to open it up, it turn out
the brushes were worned.  It would turn when I had it out of the car
because I was holding it up and the brushes would make contact but when
it was in the car mounted the brushes were not making contact.

The starter can be rebuild, the most difficult part would be removing the
drivegear because the spring holding it in place has to be compress to
release the gear.  To replace the brushes would require some de-soldering
and soldering, otherwise it is pretty straight forward.  I also replaced
the bushings at the sametime and the starter has been running fine since.
The only problem I had was the screws holding the brush cover coming loose.
That was fixed by applying some thread lock compound to the screws.

Also, you can just pick up a rebuild unit from your local parts shop.
Hope this is off some help, good luck.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              (514)848-2424 Ext.3115    Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H961       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html