RE: Spitfire Swing Spring

To: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>, "'M D \"Doc\" Nugent'"
Subject: RE: Spitfire Swing Spring
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@COX.NET>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:39:35 -0700
I think that what has happened here is that people are saying one thing
and others are reading it as something else.

Doc's statement is true if you are referring to just the upright (in
swing springs, fixed springs or rotoflex suspensions.  Move the upright
off vertical and the camber changes (either negative or positive).

With the swing axle arrangement, the upright is perpendicular to the
axle and is attached so that it remains that way.  Therefore if you move
the suspension at all, the camber changes.  Raise the rear of the car
and the camber goes massively positive.

Increasing the axle length while maintaining a constant spring length
makes the angle less positive or more negative, depending on how you
want to look at it.

With the rotoflex or other multiple control element suspensions, the
ideal is to have the camber change within a desired range.  Because the
axle is no longer the lower control element, the axle must change
relative lengths as it goes through its movement and that is
accomplished by the rotoflex unit.  Other cars use CV-Joints or slip
joints to accomplish the same thing.

There, Haven't we just about beaten the subject to death?  :)

Joe