Re: Spitfire head identification

To: bschwart@pacbell.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire head identification
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 21:24:17 EDT
In a message dated 5/17/2004 8:45:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bschwart@pacbell.net writes:

> Thanks to all for the veneering information - the dash is at this moment
> being finished, and while it is drying between coats I am looking at the
> motor.
> I Have a really good cylinder head, looks to have been rebuilt since
> everything is spotless, but I am not sure which year this one came off of.
> Since the move my reference material is god knows where, so I thought I'd
> through this out and see is anybody has info on it -
> The head is stamped 515573, and casting number is 307871
> I am hoping that it's a later head, because that valves don't have any
> hardened seats cut in them for unleaded use - if it is a later head, then
> the valves will be for unleaded use - if not, looks like I'll be going to
> the machine shop
> The engine looks to have been recently rebuilt, the crank having been
> ground only .020 under , shot peened and balanced and all bearing surfaces
> look very good!  The down side is that it has been bored over .030, but
> cylinder walls look to be in perfect shape, even after sitting for about 13
> years.  it would appear to have been run very little when the valve that
> dropped stopped it's operation (telltale marks on number one piston, but
> still looks serviceable)  However, it has a Shneider racing (#12777, grind
> 128 F10) performance cam in it, which I would love to use, but if I can't
> find the spec's (I sent an e-mail to them) I will have to get a re-ground
> stock cam -
> Anyway, hopefully someone will have info on the head -
> Thanks - Trying to get this car done for Triumphest!!
> Barry Schwartz (San Diego)

Hi Barry,

I have a spare head with the same numbers. From what I can find out, mostly
at Mr. Tegler's fine site, it's a low compression, small valve, late model 1300
or early model 1500 head with no air jets. The measured height  is 3.008". I
have no idea whether it's been skimmed, so I'd be interested to know what
yours measures and how it compares.

Tom B.