RE: Gutless below 2500rpm

To: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>, "'Chris King'" <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>,
Subject: RE: Gutless below 2500rpm
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@COX.NET>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 16:22:21 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: spitfires-owner@autox.team.net
[mailto:spitfires-owner@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of
ptegler@cablespeed.com
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2004 3:57 PM
To: Chris King; spridgets@autox.team.net; spitfires@autox.team.net

A little of both!  no back pressure at low rpms
will cause a bit of lag.... but knowing Ted's cams...
it simply sounds like it's 'coming on the cam'
at 2500 which sounds about right!

Having run that particular cam in my autocross car until I installed the
Honda engine, I can say that I never noticed that the low end was
particularly gutless.  But then I never kept it down below 2000 rpm for
very long periods.

That said, the specs that Ted posts indicate that the power curve is
from 3000-6000 rpm.  So one might expect that it might be a bit weak
below that range.  I will say that in an early Mk3 engine it will pull
very well to 7500 rpm, particularly with a MSD electronic ignition
system.

Cheers,
Joe