Re: ports too small? - more info.... more thoughts

To: <nass@yahoogroups.com>, <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: ports too small? - more info.... more thoughts
From: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:35:49 -0400
...got lots of responses on this one ...both ON and OFF list   :-)

My point was comparing people's use of K&N's and etc and wonder
why the needles need to be richer when the K&N's are used, it's obvious
the lack of restriction is letting the carbs breath better.

Yes... most of the twin carb boxes either have a series of holes at the
bottom rear, or a single larger rectangular hole (on later models)
I was always under the impression this was a temperature thing. IE: the
tubes brought in cold air, and the little holes mixed in a bit of warmer
air. But why the change from 4 small holes to one   larger hole?
I now have to believe it was an attempt to let it breath more air.

The Spit (single ZS) snorkel is 1.5" which matches the carb throat.
The twin boxes (long oval air box) seems to be the only one with
the smaller ports.  The TR6 box is also the same. The snorkels
are NOT 1.75"

someone mentioned most cars have smaller snorkels than the throat of
the carb.   I checked 15 cars between mine, and my neighbors. ALL
have snorkels LARGER than the throats.  The fuel injected vehicles
DEFINITELY all have snorkels, larger or equal to the carb bore.  My
BGT air box snorkels as an example, (on twin 1.5" SU's)  are 1.75" (larger
than the carbs) are by 1/4" each.

...anyway.....
The real point of the first email is the testing I'm doing right now to
put to rest once and for all, what really works best/well on as far as carbs
are concerned.  I have the stock twin ZS150 carbs on the their manifold,
a second set of HS4's mounted on the same style stock manifold,
and now, I just finished up a set of HS6 carbs on a stock(modified) GT6
manifold.  I'll be writing up an article on the workings and comparison
of all three carb configurations on my GT6.

The HS4 config. has the carbs mounted on a manifold that has had the
stud holes welded up and redrilled for proper HS4 mounting position spacing.
(no adapter plates needed)   The HS6 setup has the adapter plates, but after
testing, the HS4 manifold will be ported to 1.75" to match the HS6's.
This will be simpler than swapping manifolds again, as the mount studs
for the HS4 and HS6 are the same spacing.

I've got an air box here that was designed for the twin HS4's. A slight
modification (elongated bolt holes) to the air box, will let it bolt right
onto the HS6's , totally keeping the stock look.  The air filters for the
HS6's are actually Volvo P122 units. They look EXACTLY like the stock
GT6 units, just a different bolt hole locations. So these Volvo filters
will fit the HS6's, and still fit inside what looks like a totally stock GT6
air box.

.... pics and more   thoughts to come.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com