RE: Freewheel Gearbox - Non LBC - Just BC

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@COX.NET>,
Subject: RE: Freewheel Gearbox - Non LBC - Just BC
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:32:13 -0400
The Saab freewheel originated out of necessity - Saab originally used
two-stroke motors where the oil was mixed with the gas. If you were racing
down a hill at high revs and let off the gas, there would be no lubrication
and the engine would seize. Not good. The freewheel allowed the engine to
freewheel, but did add a lock device to lock it out. It was available
throughout the V4 era, and it was an option on the first few years of Saab
99s too.

Kevin Rhodes
Former 69 Saab Sonett V4 owner