RE: Driver side lean - shimmin'

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@COX.NET>, "'Triumphs'"
Subject: RE: Driver side lean - shimmin'
From: M D Nugent <carcentric@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:45:48 -0700 (PDT)
Since the bottom leaf of the rear (swing) spring is affixed to the
differential (or so I'm told), how about preloading the spring a bit by
putting a shim between the frame and one side of the front diff mount
to "lean" the diff?  Is there enough give in the rear mount to allow
that?

Or . . . putting a wedge shim between the spring and diff (so the axles
aren't tweaked as they would be in my first "design")?

Just thinkin' outside da box . . . .

I actually agree with whoever said rear flatness is controlled by the
front suspension.  When we put the Spit body on the GT6 Mk3 (swing
spring) chassis, it leaned the other way (driver side was high, front
and rear).  We took out the GT6 front spring spacer and it was better
(front and rear), though still a little higher (~1/3") on the driver's
side - until the driver gets in the car.

M D "Doc" Nugent