Re: Thermostat cover bolts

To: abeck@ica.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thermostat cover bolts
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 23:07:27 EDT
In a message dated 4/6/2004 8:42:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, abeck@ica.net
writes:

> I think I need some new thermostat cover bolts -- the existing ones are
> rusted to hell.  The ones that I took off are each a different length...
>
> Are they supposed to be different lengths?

Yes. Technically, the shorter of the two is a set screw, while the longer one
is a bolt.

> What do I look for in a replacement bolt?

5/16" UNF both; sorry, I don't have the lengths handy. Other than that, maybe
a bit of "never seize" as you fit them; it's a real PITA when these snap off
(don't ask me how I know).

<FONT  COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2
PTSIZE=10 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Aria--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.