RE: Metal Bonding

To: "Paul-Ernest Levesque" <pelevesq@globetrotter.net>,
Subject: RE: Metal Bonding
From: "Triumph" <triumph@yankeespitfire.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:30:18 -0500
Back when I was starting my restoration, I also knew nothing about welding
and considered the bonding process. I contacted a friend who worked in 3M's
medical sales who in turn contacted someone in adhesives. The auto panel
adhesive is not intended for structural panels, meaning you can use it on
fenders and skins but not floors, sills and rockers. He went further in
stating they intend the stuff only for shops that comply with their
recommended processes and equipment (translate- no liability or warranty
unless you use the entire 'system').
...so I learned to weld... *grin*

Another thought- given the fit quality of a lot of panels these days (those
who've done it know what I mean) you will find yourself bending, trimming,
hammering, clamping and tacking under tension a bit to get them in place and
just so. That process can be made a lot easier with a welder, either torch
or MIG...

"Any drive you don't return from on a towtruck was a good one"
Jon
1977 (mostly) Spitfire 1500 'Ol Yeller
FM 66043U
Nass #104 VTR #14767