3-Rail Gearbox Rebuild -- What Do I Need?

To: Spitfire Digest <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: 3-Rail Gearbox Rebuild -- What Do I Need?
From: Adam Rodnitzky <arodnitzky@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:05:07 -0800 (PST)
Hi Everyone,

Well, first things first...I think I found out why
both 2nd and 3rd gear synchros went at the same time
on my gearbox. When I replaced my clutch, I refilled
my gearbox with GL5-rated oil...and as I've found out,
that will deteriorate the brass and bronze in these
old Triumph gearboxes fairly quickly.
I've purchased a good used 3-rail 4-synchro gearbox
from a '71 Spitfire MkIV. As a matter of course, I've
decided to rebuild it before I drop it in my '70 Mk3.
I haven't received it yet, so I don't know if it needs
anything beyond ordinary service items for the
rebuild. Is there a standard list of items one would
buy before embarking on a rebuild?

Thanks!

Adam

PS -- I've already ordered a case of Redline MT90 GL4
gear oil for the new gearbox.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html