Re: rear end knocking noise

To: "Huw Upshall" <hupshall@triumphcars.com>
Subject: Re: rear end knocking noise
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 04:29:31 -0800
short of taking them out, no.  However the joint itself may still be good
but the cups are sliding in the yoke bores and the cross shaft is in effect
slapping against the cups. - In "proper" replacement procedures the
circlips were selected with varying thickness to insure that the u-joint
had no end play and therefore no lateral movement.  Replacement joints now
days come with only one thickness circlip (probably the thinnest one that
used to be available) and as such when the bores become elongated and no
longer tight, the joint slides back and forth in the yolk slapping the cups
as far apart as they will be allowed to go and you here the *classic"
clicking noise.  Granted it may not move much, but its enough to cause the
noise - The "cure" I used was to make up shims to take up the slack - took
about .010 in my case (.005 on each side)
Barry Schwartz - San Diego -(bschwart@pacbell.net)
---