Re: L General running question

To: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk ("jonmac"), frank@zk3.dec.com
Subject: Re: L General running question
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:37:42 -0500
Douglas Frank wrote:

> You checked the float.  Did you check the valve that the float operates?
>   It might be stuck open.  Easy to replace: get a new one in a carb
> rebuild kit from spitbits.com.

Jonmac replied:

> Sounds to me like it is. Certainly a new valve is one option but it's also
> likely those minute and hardly visible burrs of delrin on the ends of the
> needle valve fins are causing trouble disproportionate to their size. Gently
> run some 800 paint flatting paper along all the fins to scour them of
> varnishes and glues....

Agreed. But it also seems to me that the problem could simply be a bit of crud
in said needle valve. If you're lucky, a shot of carb cleaner might cure the
problem without any disassembly. Sometimes it helps to simply cut off the fuel
supply, run the engine until the float chambers empty, then reconnect the fuel
supply and start again. The "flood" of fresh gas might just dislodge the crud.

Two possible cheap solutions. ;-)

--Andy Mace