Re: Floorpan removal/ installation

To: mmilkevitch@yahoo.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Floorpan removal/ installation
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:18:29 EST
In a message dated 12/1/2003 9:46:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mmilkevitch@yahoo.com writes:

> During the Thanksgiving holiday, I had to opportunity to work on the
> floorpans on my '78 Spit.  As is typical, several portions of both floorpans
>have
> rust holes, with the portion directly below the driver's feet being totally
> rusted out.  I am therefore considering totally replacing the left side
> (driver's) floorpan, since patching it may be counter-productive.  I am
>interested
> in hearing other lister's experiences with floorpan removal and
> installation...any tips/tricks and other advice?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Matt Milkevitch
> '78 Spitfire

Hi Matt,

I patched mine with fiberglass. As motley as this fix may be, it avoids the
danger of misaligned doors due to tub distortion. I saw another Spit owner
attempt to cut out the floorpans and weld in replacements while leaving the tub
attached to the frame and it ended badly. I imagine small patches are an option
also, if you are a welder. You can, of course, remove the tub, buy the
replacement panels, and weld them in while carefully maintaining all
clearances. I
didn't. (But there's always next year.)

Tom Burke