Stromberg Carb Question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Stromberg Carb Question
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:52:37 -0500
I thought I had sent this yesterday, but I never saw it appear.  My
apologies if this is a duplicate.

Ive been having some serious driveability issues with the single Stromberg
carb on my 78 Spitfire which I have yet to sort out.  While searching the
internet for some ideas, I found a site about the carb to manifold mounting
gasket.  This site advises:  Some repair manuals will illustrate the carb
to manifold gasket inverted. This, although do-able, on the car and looking
correct; loses vacuum and the car will run but won't idle. The gasket needs
switched 90 degrees from the manuals to work.

Unfortunately without knowing whether I have a right or wrong repair
manual,  it doesnt really say which way is correct.  And  of course I
didnt pay sufficient attention when the carb was initially taken off the
manifold.    Im presuming that the cut-out on the gasket (actually I
believe its an insulator) lines up with an identical cut-out on the
throttle passage of the carb.  That would seem obvious, but Ive learning
never to assume anything about the Stromberg!

Can anyone confirm or deny so I can at least eliminate this possibility?

Thanks as always!

Greg Rowe

MSN Messenger with backgrounds, emoticons and more.
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_customize