Body tolerances and bolt-on wires.

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "NASS" <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Body tolerances and bolt-on wires.
From: "Bill Gingerich" <wrgingerich@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:21:15 -0600
Greetings, Fellow Listers,

I was getting Rip, the '73 Spit, ready for the winter today - had to put a
new tarp over him.  He's had door fit problems since I bought him.  I've
suspected body sag from when the DPO replaced the rockers.  Today I measured
the distance from the top of the A post to the top of the B post.  It came
in at 35 7/16".  I compared this to Lazarus, the '74.  He measures a strong
35 9/16".  Is 1/8" within the manufacturing tolerances you'd expect, or have
I just confirmed the dreaded tub sag?  If it has sagged, what are the
chances of getting it straight again?  I know this requires replacing the
rockers again.  The rest of the tub is decent, so I hate to just scrap it
out.

I'm also getting ready to start rehab of the bolt-on wires I have.  Are
there things other than the obvious loose spokes, out of true conditions,
and bent areas that I should be checking for?  I'm don't remember what the
rim width is, but would 175/70 tires fit OK?

As always, all of your thoughts are appreciated.

BillG
'74 Spitfire "Lazarus"
'73 Spitfire "Rip"
'71 GT6 "Dorian"