Re: frame off

To: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: frame off
From: "Livia Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 19:54:47 -0400
Hi Larry,
yes acid dip would be the best way to go on a frame, depending on how
serious you take this resto and how much money you are willing to spend.
We've done a few restorations in the past but have not done splurged on an
acid dip, however we get pretty serious when stripping all the old paint off
the frame, using wire brushes, grinders, rolox wheels and, finally
sandblasting, in other words take it down to the bare metal. This way, you
see any flaws, weak points, areas that need attention. We've always ensured
to rust- proof the inside of the frame with waxoil and painted the frame
with a good rust proofing paint. Por 15 seems to be a reliable product, but
we've used other paints in the past also. We have not powder coated like
some people do, which is another option. I consider the frame the easiest
part of any resto, nothing too difficult or even time consuming in relation
to the rest of the body panels, which we also take down to the bare metal,
inch by inch...........
Disassembly is tedious, body work and assembly even more so.
However the end product, when you get to drive it madly down that winding
road, is worth every hours spent.
As I always say 'women's work is never done'....................Big
Liv