Smell of gas -(fuel!)

To: "Spit-Enthusiast list" <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Smell of gas -(fuel!)
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@dccnet.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:39:33 -0700
Most of us are not the first owners of our cars. Thought I'd share a recent
experience, and maybe some-one will benefit. On to the tale:
I'd always thought the aroma of a British car was part of their charm. A
heady mixture of hot oil, (from the British self-oiling mechanism), exhaust
fumes when backing up, combined with a vague tinge of gasoline.
Well, the vague tinge of gasoline became more pronounced.
The search began. No evidence of leakage in the lines around the carb, nor
those that run in and out of the fuel pump. Hmm, small puddle on the ground
near the back of the car, just forward of the wheels. Too far forward to be
a leak in the tank.
There is a short section of rubber fuel line where the lines change from
plastic to metal. Just forward of the rear wheel, under the drivers' side,
running alongside the chassis.
In my case, that section had become porous. It oozed gas on being gently
squeezed. (One wonders if it was even meant to be used for fuel).
Have now changed it for proper fuel hose, and am hoping to get more miles
(km) per tank.

If you smell gas, this a place to check. (Or, you could just blame your
passenger, no wait, not that kind of gas!)

Nick Moseley