Gear Reduction starter

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Gear Reduction starter
From: Daniel Parrott <parrotthead01@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 16:37:30 -0400
Dan Parrott
Savannah, Ga
My Spit wouldn't start yesterday; the starter just spun and didn't engage
the flywheel.  I (and a friend) pushed the care a foot or so in gear and
tried again, thinking that a few teeth on the flywheel were missing and the
pinion gear wouldn't engage.  No luck there. (or was that actually good
luck?)

Anyway, I was on the second level of a parking garage and was able to get PJ
started by popping the clutch on the way downhill.  I got her home, removed
the starter and found the little pinion gear was stuck in the outmost
position.  I moved the gear around a bit by hand, and reinstalled it. The
starter works fine (for now).

Now I'm thinking of getting one of those heavy duty Gear Reduction starters
that VB sells for $300, or on eBay for about half that much.
Has anyone ever upgraded their Lucas starter to the beefier one?  Will it
fit?  What do you do with the integrated solenoid on the new starter?