Re: got the oil plug out now the real issue!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: got the oil plug out now the real issue!
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 22:20:01 -0400
I'm thinking that if you're clacking loud and down on power, you may have
"spun a bearing", where instead of having a bearing shell on the bottom half
of the crankshaft and one on the top half, you have two on the bottom (or
top).
If the crank's gotten scored by this, well it's going to need a regrind and
once
you start that, you're basically into a whole rebuild.

Does the engine resist revving?  Is the oil pressure light on?

Something to look for and hope against whilst in there.

Replace the main bearings while you're at it (about $20 for the set of mains
and $20
for the set of rod bearings) and most DEFINITELY replace the thrust washers
(about $6).

It is VERY IMPORTANT that the new bearings go in with the tabs the same way
as the old.  Bearing caps must go back on the same rod or main that they
came off
of.  Do NOT turn them around.  Don't even swap around the bolts.   Oil the
bearings before installing, make sure everything is scrupulously clean and
use a
torque wrench.

There's a chance that you may develop or increase oil leaks due to the
weight
of the crank temporarily hanging on the oil seals, but it's more than a
worthwhile
tradeoff if you're not able to do a full rebuild.

It's really not that bad of a job and gives a most satisfying sense of
accomplishment
(as well as an increase in oil pressure).

Best!

Greg Rowe