RE: Oil gasket pan help.

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil gasket pan help.
From: "Chris & Kelly Sharp" <chrislsharp@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 22:03:08 -0800
Steve-

I use a paper gasket cut from thick gasket material and high temp RTV, both
of which I pick up at a local parts store.  The gasket material is about the
weight of heavy cardstock and a ~36" by ~14" piece is only a couple of
bucks.  RTV just needs to be oil and heat resistant.

Also, I use a slow technic when installing the pan and gasket:
- Cut the gasket to size and punch holes for the mounting bolts
- Apply a thin, wide layer of RTV to the flange on the pan and the top side
of the gasket.  It's important to cover the entire width of both the flange
and the gasket.
- Go do something else for 15 minutes or so.  RTV cures by contact with air
and this lets the RTV begin to skin over
- Place the gasket on the flange so that you have RTV on the top.
- Bolt this up to the block, snug but not tight. You want a good seal but
you don't want to squeeze all of the RTV out of the joint.
- Wait 24 hours before tightening the bolts to the proper torque.

I used to have oil leaks everytime I dropped a pan gasket but haven't had
any since I've started doing it this way.

Hope this helps

Chris
64 Spitfire4 BFC26375L