High running mechanical tach

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: High running mechanical tach
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 22:10:30 -0800
Anyone ever had their mechanical tach run too high at higher RPM's?  It's
pretty close to correct on the low range of the gauge, but at 3400 RPM, my
needle says 4000!!  I knew I had a problem and confirmed it with an electronic
tach.  The cable is new, and on top of that I used liquid graphite the inner
cable it before installation, so I know that isn't the problem.  The needle
also appears nice and steady while in use.

Any suggestions?  I was thinking about winding the needle one more revolution
so that more resistance is encountered when the needle is climbing.

TIA

Jeff