odd happenings

To: "spitfire maillist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: odd happenings
From: "Jack" <jkagy@bpsom.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 15:44:10 -0500
James, Had a similar experience late last summer.  Driving on a city street,
35 mph, heard a clunk and the car got swervy.  Turned out to be a broken
trunnion bolt on the RR. It also produced even more camber than usual on the
rear wheels.
Just this afternoon, I finally got new brake line installed on the RR wheel.
I broke it while pressing in the new trunnion bushing.  Nervousness about
kinking the line as I tried to bend it to shape caused me to put off the work
until it got too cold.  Today is 50+ in NWOH, so I got back at it. Not quite
finished, but stopped to celebrate w/ a cold one.
I think you really need to jack up the rear and crawl underneath it.  The
swerve to the L on braking sounds like you are not getting the drag you expect
from the RR brake.  Sounds dangerous.

JAK