5 Transmission questions

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: 5 Transmission questions
From: "D T Gebhard" <kimkell@decaturnet.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:57:01 -0500
Spitlisters,
    A couple of questions about my transmission.
My can is a 1977 1500.

    1) Does the front oil seal go in between the bell house and the exposed
bearing...
    2) Can I use a liquid type sealant between the bell house and the
tranny...
    3) The top cover had this this material that I scraped off, is that bad?
I really thought it was old dirty dried oil! Should I have left it on?,If
so,is there an alternative material that I can put on there...
   4) On the shifter shaft,there is a plastic cap that covers a hole.
According to the VB catalogue,there should be a small spring and a bullet
shaped object in there. Do I need this? Can I do with out it??
    5) Is there a source of 'blanking plates' that can be had to cover the
hole near where the shifter shaft goes in? I think I can probably make my
own.
                Dave Gebhard
                1977 1500 FM60984U