Re: Spongy Brakes x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>,
Subject: Re: Spongy Brakes x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: "Dave Willner" <dwillner@icontech.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:48:05 -0500
James,

New pads (1) along with a good bleeding (2) will make a big difference. Make
sure your rotors are true and have enough "meat" on them, not sure what the
specs are off hand. My 80 had the original pads on (only 31K) and had about
1/8" of material left when I changed them in December (bought it in
October). I installed the more expensive ones TRF listed , they were on sale
for 17.00 last fall/winter, but list for I think 27.00.

Changing is simple as well as bleeding, make sure you put in the anti-squeal
plates the right way (check arrows). You may also want to adjust the rears
if they've been there awhile. The difference in pedal travel is dramatic, I
was near the floor on my initial "new test drives" last fall and now I may
have 1 1/2" - 2" before it stops on a dime (well maybe a quarter).

Dave Willner
59 TR3A Apple green
80 Spitfire Carmine Red