LBC, non-Triumph question- longish

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: LBC, non-Triumph question- longish
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 15:16:35 -0500
Hi everybody!

I am contemplating a second BC, an MSBC(mid sized British car) at the expense
of both my pickup and 1969 Belvedere- a 1988 Jaguar XJ-6(Not a Vanden Plas)

The car has about 91k miles on it, the body is in very nice shape, the interior
pretty good, but needs a spot here and there attended to. I took the time to
"follow the dog" today and give her a test drive. (Even opened the sunroof just
to see what it was like)

My questions are these- I noticed when I first got in, that the seats, despite
being leather, seemed a good deal harder than my mom's Lincoln, which also has
leather seats. Being used to cloth or vinyl, it seemed a little harsh,
especially for a "luxury" car.

Next, I noticed a bit of road bump when driving at low speeds- I attribute this
to the tires- by "road bump" I mean I felt like I could feel every stone and
pebble the car went over. When I increased speed, this feeling seemed to
disappear. Could this be hard or overinflated tires? Or a shock issue? The car
handled well, and went arrow straight with hands off the wheel, so I don't
suspect suspension issues...

The engine(newer aluminum straight 6) seemed to have good power- very smooth
and quick, though I had to work the pedal to get there- though that just be my
unfamiliarity with the beast- I am used to a pickup with a hair trigger.
Shifting was smooth, and I hardly even noticed it shifting at all- I could tell
by the tach.

Anyone have any comments for me regarding these issues, or any others that I
might want to consider? I am hoping to sell my other two cars quickly to
finance this- Anyone need a 1988 Ford F150 or 1969 Plymouth Belvedere?

Thanks for any help,
Scott