Re: Bouncy bouncy and zipped vinyl

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bouncy bouncy and zipped vinyl
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 19:16:19 +0000
On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, at around 14:09:37 local time, tim dafforn
<mqbsstrd@man.ac.uk> wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>Happy new year..
>Spent sunday at the national autojumble at the NEC Birmingham, renewed
>my enthusiasm for all things english and sportscar like.
>Had a close run thing with a Shorrock Supercharger (500 quid too much
>for my pocket,!)
>Still have the spitfire and have been whizzing arround in it quite a bit
>over the Xmas period and it has highlighted handling characteristic that
>I don't like.
>The back end seems to hop around (hence bouncy bouncy) rather a lot when
>at speed on uneven roads.
>The rear suspension is totally new, Is this just spitfire handling, or
>should I chuck the cheap generic shocks and save for some Koni/spax or
>similar, and dial 'em in harder. Wheels an tyres are standard.

Dear Tim,

If you can make the back end bounce, the front end should be bouncing
too (remember that track leading to TRGB?).   If the front end is
holding the road nicely, and the back is all over the place, you have a
problem.   Not sure that the shocks are necessarily to blame either. Get
a full rear-end balance/alignment etc. done, and see if that helps.

>Second thingm have been suffering from a split rear (zip out) window in
>my soft top (split when I folded it in the cold weather last year). rest
>of the hood is in good condition, what are the options? can I buy just a
>new rear window, or have the clear bit replaced (anyone had any experience)

If the rear screen cracked in the cold, I guarantee you that within days
of buying and fitting a new rear screen to your existing hood, the rear
quarterlights will crack...

Buy a new hood; it'll be cheaper in the long run.

ATB

--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671