Accident Update

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, nass@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Accident Update
From: Phillip <metaz@knology.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 22:31:54 -0500
Well after a week of ignoring my calls and emails I finally got a response
back from Progressive Insurance.  And as I thought they want to total the
car.  Here is what the guy said in his message:

"I have the price of the parts, and we have completed an estimate and it
appears your vehicle is a total loss."

That is about all he said, didn't even bother to send numbers to go with
that statement.  But I have done my homework and don't see how they came to
this conclusion.  I took the car to two different body shops and they both
gave the same estimate of $1500 to put the car back on the road.  Then I
looked up the value of the car on the NADA web site and they list my car at
$3000.  My insurance company (State Farm) values the car at
$3000-$3500.  Now according to Alabama state law if the cost of repairs
exceeds 75% of the vehicles value then it is considered a total loss.  From
what I have found out there is no way they should total the car.  Unless
they over estimated the cost of repairs or under valued the car, or
both.  So I have to wait until tomorrow to get in touch with Progressive
and find out what is going on.  This whole time they have been telling me
that they were going to repair the car, but never would answer any of my
questions.  Any thought on what I should do from here would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks!

Phillip
76' Spitfire 1500 (future unknown)

metaz@knology.net