Re: [triumph_herald] Which engine to use ?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Re: [triumph_herald] Which engine to use ?
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 17:13:07 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: <johnzissler@aol.com>

> Now my question(s), Can I install the unleaded head from the FD engine and
> put it on the FH engine?   next, if i can swap it over, which is the better
> engine ? Its a bit pointless swapping the head over if I would be putting it
> on an inferior engine.I have read posts that say the later engine has larger
> bearings and are that much stronger and will last longer ?

John,
    It's true that the bearings are larger, but the later (FH type) engines are
considerably less robust than the MKIII FD type. The FD is generally considered
the best of all stock 1300 Triumph engines - a strong bottom end without the
drag of the larger bearings, together with a decent cam profile. If it's
running well I've nothing against the FH, but if I had a choice which engine I
was going to spend money then the FD would win every time.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics