RE: Alternator Test

To: "'JohnZissler@aol.com'" <JohnZissler@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Alternator Test
From: Rick Gregory <Rick@ncmg.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:03:38 -0700
Our old "cheap" test was to disconnect the positive battery cable while the
engine was running, so it was powered by nothing but the alternator. Loading
it down with lights, heater fan etc, if it kept running well meant that the
alternator was putting out plenty of juice.

I am not sure how "safe" it is however to do this while the engine is
running and the battery charging/venting - sparks might cause an explosion.
The correct thing to do is to pull the alternator & have it tested.

I am also told that if you measure across the battery without the engine
running, you should get a little over twelve volts. But this assumes your
battery is charged at least somewhat. Doing the same measurement with the
engine running should get you fourteen to fifteen volts. But, a bad
battery/bad cell would generally have an impact on both of these readings,
making it imprecise to determine whether you have a bad alternator or
battery.

Clear as mud now?

Rick Gregory
'74 Triumph Spitfire FM15447UO