RE: U-Joint Clips

To: "Andre Rousseau" <andrer@mac.com>,
Subject: RE: U-Joint Clips
From: "Jon" <triumph@bigolbear.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:32:22 -0500
Plasma torch...
... just kidding.
I've had the clips snap off too- are you using the inside clip pliers? If
they're jammed and rusty, you can get a can of penetrating oil (basically
WD40 in a bottle), dump it in a coffee can and stand the end of the
propshaft or halfshaft in it overnight. Then chase the busted clip around in
a circle with a needlenose pliers until you can get a nip on an end and work
it out far enough to hook it with an awl point. Once the clip is out, hold
it cupped in one hand and tap it with a wood or hard plastic mallet until it
shifts far enough to get the spider out of one cap. Then work it the other
way. Don't whack the flange or use a metal hammer- it can distort the
flange, once out of alignment its toast and your ujoints won't last long and
will probably click all the time. BTW- the shop guide estimates 2.1 hrs for
the pumpkin ujoints and 1.7 for the propshaft. But since your tub's off and
you can get at them it shouldn't take more than say 5 hours? heh heh!

Ujoints just plain s**k in my opinion... *grin*
Now somebody else probably has an easier way and I've been making this more
difficult than it has to be for over a decade...

"Any drive you don't return from on a tow truck was a good one..."
Jon
'77 (mostly) 1500 "Ol' Yeller"
FM66043 7U
Nass #104