getting my head machined/redone

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: getting my head machined/redone
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 23:25:28 -0000
Hi Listers,

I do hope you're not all fed up with me by now, I have "used" this list plenty
over the last month or so.. with my engine swap and everything...

I think perhaps my cylinder head maybe be a bit dodgy, I have no proof, but it
might be. Anyway, it seems that perhaps the current engine is going to have
its head pulled to change the gasket. Now, considering I am going to be
reconning my old engine, I thought perhaps it would be an idea to get my
cylinder head redone first, right away - and then if I have to do a head
gasket job, I can put the new one on - with unleaded seats and all.

Now, my local machine shop is run by an "interesting" old guy - and if I don't
know what Im talking about then he will make mince meat out of me.

So, what do I go in there and ask to be done? I have trouble enough telling
the barber how I want my hair (you should see it at the minute, some how "a
bit shorter" translated in to "nearly bald"), let alone tell this guy what to
do... I'd like to at least know what he's talking about before I go in... or
ask for specific "custom" things to be done...

So far I know this is roughly the direction I want to go in; hardened seats
(means unleaded, right?), stainless steel valves (the ones moss sell - the
sporty ones - means that they're tougher and that the gas flows better?) - or
should I just go for standard "lapped" ones?

Now, most of my knowledge on this subject has been sold to me by the Moss
Triumph Tune catalog... so I have no idea if any of this is suitable or
not...

Next to the stuff I don't understand - or at least can only hazard a guess at
what they actually do.

Ported... eh? Make the ports bigger? Round them out?

Gasflowed... well this sounds a bit expensive to me... but they round off all
the hard edges... ?!?!? can this sort of be half done? I'd imagine if it isnt
done right then it doesnt have any effect...

And how much should this cost? Can I put it back together myself? Surely that
would save some money, although I'd imagine that once its all done, putting it
back together doesnt take long... maybe not...

Gone ever so slightly mad,

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit