For Sale: 1979 Spitfire "Bluebell"

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: For Sale: 1979 Spitfire "Bluebell"
From: Christine Edwards <cedwards@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 21:41:37 -0700
Hi gang,

Long time no talk.  I wish I was writing under happier circumstances...but
I have recently taken a pretty huge financial hit, and among other things,
I need to sell my beloved Bluebell.  So, here it is:

FOR SALE:
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Pageant Blue
VIN: FM96507U
4 spd, no overdrive
Asking price: $3500

Bluebell is almost 100% original.  I bought her back in June and put some
time and $$$ into her, and she's been a great weekend driver for me.  I'll
try to highlight as many major points as I can.  I can't see any rust,
never been wrecked that I or anyone else can tell.  Original Pageant Blue
paint is far from perfect, but it's ok.  A few dings, including one scratch
on the right rear panel that looks like it was "keyed".  She doesn't leak
or smoke.  Interior is in really good condition - some typical cracking in
the finish of the dash, but nothing major.  Glass is good.  Tires are
good.  Soft top is fair.  All lights, indicators, and guages work with the
exception of the horn.  Clutch is fine, she shifts great with the exception
of an occasional slight grinding from 1st to 2nd (about once every 5th
time).  Gas gauge reads about 1/4 tank fuller than it is in reality.

I had a bunch of work done on the car when I bought her.  All work was done
by British Sports Car Service in Phoenix, AZ.  From the invoice:  "Replaced
manifold gasket and flange gasket, adjust left front wheel bearing, adjust
rear brakes, major tune up, adjust valves, replace float needle, replace
air pipe to manifold, replace ball joint boots, replace brake hoses,
replace hood snubbers, and adjust hood."

The car is currently registered in AZ, but did not pass AZ emissions.  AZ
has the strictest emissions standards in the United States, stricter than
even CA.  She was extremely close, but didn't quite make it.  I got a
waiver for this year, but the car will need to pass emissions if it's to be
registered in AZ next year.  (I don't know what the rules are in other
states - she might well pass emissions "as is" in most other states.)  My
mechanic thinks that with a little work (valves and rings?) she could pass
AZ standards with no problem, but I didn't have the money to spend at the
time, so I got the waiver and figured I'd worry about it next year.  The
catalytic converter was stripped by a previous owner.

Spare tire is in the trunk, but the tire looks to be a bit dry
rotted.  Luggage rack on the trunk.  There's a AM/FM/cassette player
installed, but the speakers are pretty bad.  New car cover is
included.  Car has the "newer" black rubber bumpers, not the early 1979
chrome.  The rear bumper is disfigured in one spot, looks like something
got a little too hot near the bumper and it just started to melt, but
nothing major.  Title is clear.

That's all I can think of right now.  Bluebell is a really sweet little
car, and I'd love to see her go to a home where she would be looked after,
cared for, tinkered with, and driven.  She is already quite
driveable...with a little TLC she would make a great companion.  As you can
tell, I've fallen completely in love with this car, and it breaks my heart
to see her go, but I have no alternative.

I paid $2800 for Bluebell and put about $1100 into her shortly
after.  Asking price is $3500, which I think is more than fair.  I have
plenty of pictures of her, and will be glad to email them to anyone
interested, please email me directly if you'd like to see them, or if you
have specific questions about anything I've left out.
Car can be picked up in Phoenix (battery is currently dead, but I think
she'll start up no problem with a jump), or can be shipped at the expense
of the buyer.

Thanks,
-Chrissy

--