RE: Torque Hell and Back

To: dobberc@planet.nl
Subject: RE: Torque Hell and Back
From: "Javier Vidaurre Ch." <vidaurre@rocketmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 13:56:49 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Cees Dobbe (spitfire mk3, GT6 mk 2, MGB, Hillman
Husky mk1),
Nice collection of LBC's you have there.
So far answer "B) lightly oiled" is winning but you
bring up an interesting point about having the wheels
on the ground when I torque up the axle nut.  I have
removed both front vertical links, trunnions and upper
ball joints from Winston the Herald and left the tie
rod levers attached to the ball joints of the tie
rods. The tie rod lever attaches to the vertical link
at two points, one of them being the stub axle which
passes through it just like your Spitfire has.

PLAN 1
1.  Attach and torque ball joint to vertical link at
workbench with vise.
2.  Screw the link into a well oiled trunnion.
3.  Install the link/trunnion/ball joint assembly to
car.
4.  Pass the stub axle through the link and tie rod
lever attaching this with the secondary bolt "finger
tight"
5.  Screw on stub axle Nylock nut and torque not
forgetting to torque the secondary bolt.
All this with the car up on "blocks".

PLAN 2
1.  Remove tie rod lever arm from car (I do not look
forward to separating the ball joint from the lever
without a puller)
2.  Step 1 from above.
3.  Assemble, tighten and torque stub axle to vertical
link and tie rod lever at work bench in a vise.
4.  Step 2 from above
5.  Install the link/stub axle/tie rod lever/ball
joint/trunnion assemble on car.
6.  Torque tie rod ball joint to lever.
All this with the car up on "blocks".

I tend to favor PLAN 1.  Am I missing something?  Am I
over thinking this?  Partly cloudy and cool here in
Lima.  If I had Petunia the Herald convertible
restored I would head down the coast to where the sun
shines.

Reporting from Peru, Javier Vidaurre
http://faith.yahoo.com