Re: Torque Hell

To: "Javier Vidaurre Ch." <vidaurre@rocketmail.com>
Subject: Re: Torque Hell
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 13:32:50 -0400
Hello Javier,

For standard SAE fasteners, unless your workshop manual specifically
says otherwise (which I doubt), torque specs always apply to clean, dry
threads in new condition.  If you choose to lubricate (as with
anti-seize), then set your torque wrench to 60% (or 2/3, close enough)
of the specification.

For dirty/rusty threads, clean and dry them.  If excessivly worn (in
your judgement), replace with new.  If not too worn, but rust-pitted,
then they'll need torquing to greater than the specification-- but by
how much, is anyone's guess.

--
Douglas Frank  DigitalWhoopsCompaqImeanHP Co.
ZKO            110 Spit Brook Rd.       The older I get,